What do you give a ukulele player for Christmas?
I thought it would be good to write about what I was given this Christmas in terms of my ukulele playing. I keep an Amazon list of things I want to buy eventually—and it turns out that is a public list. My parents decided that I didn’t have enough on my family’s Christmas Wish List, so they started to order some things from that list, too. The links are Amazon referral links.
So…here is what I received this year…
- Martin M600 Ukulele Strings for Soprano/Concert Ukuleles. These are my favorite strings, along with the M620 Martin Strings for Tenor Ukuleles. There is a new type of string from Aquila that is coming soon (sugar strings) and I look forward to trying them, but the Martins feel good, sound nice, are available everywhere, and are usually inexpensive.
- Ukulele Ornament. What ukulele player doesn’t need one of these?
- The Classical Ukulele. John King was a master of the ukulele and known for his Classical Approach. Great book.
- Duets for One. James Hill is one of the world’s leading players and ukulele pedagogues (see his Ukulele Way as well).
- Classical Hits for Ukulele. I’m a classical musician turned ukulele player. Enough said.
- Jake Shimabukuro Teaches Ukulele Lessons. I saw Jake in person just over a year ago. I’m curious about his teaching style and how he would introduce ukulele to others.
- Ukulele Basics. I am a music teacher, and I am always curious as to how other teachers teach new concepts to their students.
On Stage QK2B Microphone Clip Quick Release: I use an iPad to read all of my music. This quick release will allow me to detach my iPad holder from the stand very quickly for transport.
Ortega Guitars OMUH-BK Ukulele Clamp Holder for Mic, Guitar & Music Stands, Also Works with Other Small Folk Instruments, Black This clamp can attach to my iPad stand and allow me to put down my ukulele in a secure way without damaging the stand. I love this.
The next step will be to send the books in for digitization (1 Dollar Scan) so that I can use them on my iPad Pro.
I hope you and your your family had a Merry Christmas—and if you don’t celebrate Christmas—a very happy holiday!