October 2020 – What’s Blocked?
Every now and then, I look through my videos to see which videos are blocked.
Most publishers allow us to use their music for the play alongs, but then take all the monetization (the play along channels cannot be monetized anyway), and of course, YouTube gets their share of the ads as well.
Generally, few artists or copyright holders block their music under these arrangements…if we’re treating the music in a tasteful way (we are), they are earning free additional income from each additional play of the song. It’s a win-win. Even so…some artists have everything blocked. The two names that stick out in my mind are the Beatles and Adele.
For a lot of these songs, you can see trends in who owns the copyright. I don’t know why they wouldn’t want views of these songs ($$) and people playing along with them…I can tell you that I wouldn’t want to be the employee chasing down all of these songs and their use in videos, etc! I know that YouTube has matching algorithms that do a lot of the work…but someone has to go online and file the requests to block songs, etc.
So, as of October 2020, what is blocked? I have 873 videos, and of those, only two songs are fully blocked (3 total videos) and nine other songs (some have multiple versions, so up to 20 videos). So about 97% of the videos on the ukeplayalongs channel are available for anyone in the world…well over 500 different songs for GCEA ukulele.
- Yellow Submarine (Beatles) – UMG
- Barbara Ann (Beach Boys) – UMG On behalf of: EMI
- Rock Around the Clock (Bill Haley and the Comets) – WMG, Demon Music, UMGOn behalf of: ACROBAT (Cyprus, Romania, Slovakia, Czechia, United Kingdom, Germany, Estonia, Austria, Sweden, Latvia, Lithuania, Finland, Ireland, Greece, France, Bulgaria, Belgium, Spain, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, Denmark, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Hungary, Italy)
- I Have a Little Dreidel (Barenaked Ladies) – WMG, UMG On behalf of: BNL P&D (Questar/Mission) (United States, Canada, U.S. Outlying Islands, American Samoa, U.S. Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam)
- Build Me Up Buttercup (The Foundations) – WMG On behalf of: Castle Communications (Blocked in all territories)
- Let Her Go (Passenger) – WMG, SME, Embassy of Music GmbH, PIAS On behalf of: Nettwerk Records (Burkina Faso, Bangladesh, Brunei, Benin, Bahrain, Burundi, British Indian Ocean Territory, India, Ireland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Antarctica, French Polynesia, Australia, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Pakistan, Pitcairn Islands, Palestine, Afghanistan, United Arab Emirates, Palau, Angola, Laos, Lebanon, Tuvalu, Taiwan, Sri Lanka, Timor-Leste, Tunisia, Tonga, Thailand, Liberia, Lesotho, Chad, Togo, Libya, Djibouti, Algeria, Syria, Eswatini, Kenya, Kiribati, Cambodia, South Sudan, Suriname, Comoros, Qatar, São Tomé & Príncipe, North Korea, South Korea, Sierra Leone, Kuwait, Senegal, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Solomon Islands, Sudan, Singapore, Côte d’Ivoire, Cook Islands, Réunion, Cameroon, China, Zimbabwe, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Congo – Kinshasa, Congo – Brazzaville, Central African Republic, Christmas Island, Zambia, Cape Verde, Somalia, Vanuatu, Micronesia, Vietnam, New Zealand, Tanzania, Nauru, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), Nepal, Niue, New Caledonia, Namibia, Norfolk Island, Nigeria, Niger, Madagascar, Morocco, Macao, Myanmar (Burma), Mali, Marshall Islands, Malawi, Maldives, Mauritius, Mauritania, Uganda, Mozambique, Malaysia, Western Sahara, Egypt, Yemen, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Hong Kong, Heard & McDonald Islands, Tokelau, Rwanda, Samoa, Fiji, St. Helena, Wallis & Futuna, French Guiana, Gabon, United Kingdom, Gambia, Guinea, Ghana, Oman, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands, South Africa, Guyana)
- The Scientist (Coldplay) – WMG On behalf of: PLG UK Frontline (Luxembourg, Belgium)
- I Can See Clearly Now (Jimmy Cliff) – WMG, SME On behalf of: Non-Wea/Other (New Caledonia, Andorra, France, Wallis & Futuna, Mayotte, Monaco, French Polynesia, Réunion)
- New Song (Yael Naim) – Believe Music, WMG On behalf of: Tôt Ou Tard (Israel)
- Why Can’t We Be Friends (War) – SME On behalf of: BMG Rights Management (Guam, U.S. Outlying Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands)
- What I Like About You (The Romantics) – SME On behalf of: Epic (New Caledonia, Namibia, Nigeria, Niger, Norway, Netherlands, Palestine, Azerbaijan, Portugal, Åland Islands, Austria, Angola, Albania, Armenia, French Polynesia, Afghanistan, Andorra, United Arab Emirates, Poland, Italy, Iran, Iceland, Iraq, Mayotte, Qatar, Ireland, British Indian Ocean Territory, Israel, Isle of Man, Rwanda, Liechtenstein, Russia, Algeria, Libya, Lithuania, Latvia, Denmark, Djibouti, Chad, Togo, French Southern Territories, Turkmenistan, Tunisia, Tajikistan, Zimbabwe, Turkey, Tanzania, Equatorial Guinea, Greece, Guinea-Bissau, Ghana, Gibraltar, Greenland, Gambia, Guinea, Gabon, United Kingdom, Georgia, Guernsey, Réunion, Wallis & Futuna, Oman, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Benin, Burundi, Bahrain, Botswana, Bouvet Island, Belarus, Jordan, Jersey, Eritrea, North Macedonia, Mongolia, Ethiopia, Monaco, Morocco, Madagascar, Moldova, Montenegro, Mozambique, Egypt, Estonia, Mauritania, Western Sahara, Lebanon, Malawi, Malta, Mauritius, Ukraine, Uganda, Uzbekistan, São Tomé & Príncipe, Spain, Syria, Eswatini, Sudan, Sweden, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, San Marino, Senegal, Somalia, St. Helena, Slovenia, Svalbard & Jan Mayen, Slovakia, Mali, Croatia, Hungary, Lesotho, Liberia, Congo – Kinshasa, Central African Republic, Congo – Brazzaville, Serbia, Canada, Cameroon, China, Switzerland, Côte d’Ivoire, South Africa, Cape Verde, Romania, Cyprus, Czechia, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Comoros, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan)
- Posted in: video play along